Category: Match Reaction

Weymouth 0-0 Dover Athletic

It finished 1-1 at the Bob Lucas Stadium for our 11th draw of the season. 

It was a windy afternoon in Weymouth for Jake Leberl’s second game in charge. The conditions provided a scrappy start to proceedings with few chances for either side. 

The first came for The Whites as George Nikaj got a good ball across the face of goal. A flurry of free kicks for Weymouth followed around the edge of the box, with David Aziaya making light work of each attempt.

In the 32nd minute Oyenuga had a strong cross-cum-shot tipped over by the Weymouth keeper. The Terras quickly followed this up with a looping cross to score the first goal at the other end. A fine volley from Goodship. The halftime whistle sounded 10 minutes later.

The start of the second half saw Dover pile on the pressure with Nikaj snatching one off a Weymouth defender and shooting inches wide. A few moments later Wilkinson’s shot went out for a corner.

The 59th minute corner, well delivered by Akehurst, resulted in a classic goal mouth scramble with loanee Scott Holding poking it home before the Weymouth defence could clear. 

The remaining thirty minutes saw end to end action with chances for both sides and good saves from David Aziaya. The points were shared but it was another resolute performance from Dover. 

We’re at home again on Boxing Day as we welcome Aveley to Crabble.

Attendance: 1,001






Whites hit back to earn a point as Table Toppers are held. 

Two league games against teams sitting at the top of the table and two 2-2 draws played out. Unlike Bath a couple of weeks back, The Whites had to come from a goal behind to salvage a point in a game that could have gone either way. Mitch Brundle’s side started like a house on fire and for the first 20 minutes, you would have been hard pushed to decide on which of the two teams were the side sitting pretty at the top. It’s now four unbeaten for Brundle across all competitions.

Paris Lock had his marker on toast in the opening periods, turning him one way and the other, delivering some lovely low crosses that we couldn’t quite capitalise on. Then in the 17th minute, Dover were rewarded for their brave attacking play. A cross by Hatcher was blocked and with the ball rebounding back to the youngster who faked to cross, cut back on his left and fired in a low ball that defender Peter Ojemen was able to turn into the net.


Peter Ojemen opens his Dover account – Photo Steve Johnson

Dover kept the pressure on and when Nick Dembele dispossessed Grimes on the half way line, he raced towards the River End with just the visiting goalkeeper in his sights. His touch was a little too heavy just at the vital time and a snap shot cannoned back off Lavercombe who got up smartly to block the rebound from Zidan. It was an opportunity for the Whites to kill the game off but Taunton were hanging on in there.

Moments later and Dover were to rue that missed chance as Foulston ghosted in at the back post from a corner to bring the teams level. Deep into first half stoppage time, the visitors took the lead when Stern danced past the Whites defence, rounded Billy Terrell and slotted into the empty net.

It’s a good point against top of the league but we now look forward to next week and our FA Cup game with Eastleigh – Mitch Brundle

The game ebbed and flowed in the second half with both teams looking to get the next goal and it was looking like it was going to be a bad day at the office until the Whites were awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty are in the 78th minute. Zidan and Hatcher stood over the ball and once Zidan had made his dummy run, Hatcher stepped up to curl the ball into the net to send the Dover fans behind the goal wild. It was a fantastic strike from a player who has certainly repaid the faith that manager has shown in him. Paris Lock was exceptional on the day and was well worthy of the Man of the Match award. Lock has been sensational since his loan started from AFC Wimbledon and will be looking to add to these performances as the season goes on.

Dover now have an FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round match against Eastleigh before resuming National League South duties against Hemel Hempstead Town. We hope to see you all there.


A special mention goes out to one of our media team, Bradley Kesby, who wrote a match report for the Non League Paper, covering the game. Well done mate.

Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, Naylor, Mensah, Ojemen, Lock, Sutherland, Dunne, Hatcher, Powell, Dembele

Subs: Stewart, Allen, Baptiste, Nikaj, Young

Taunton Town: Lavercombe, Foulston, Grimes, Booth, Chamberlain, James, Jarvis, Stern, Lucas, Morgan, Evans

Subs: McCootie, Guest, Smith, Day, Sims-Burgess


Brundle’s Babes march on in the cup. 

After coming from a goal down to win the tie, the Whites made sure that they were in the hat for the next round, courtesy of a brace from substitute and Man of the Match Zidan Sutherland.

Iffy Allen pulled up in the warm-up so Luke Baptiste stepping into the starting eleven in a team that boasted the average age of just 20, with captain for the day John Oyenuga one of the more senior players on the pitch. Baptiste and Nikaj were academy graduates, while Henry Young and Archie Hatcher are still present in the academy, showing that the talent coming through is worthy of first team football.

It was a slow first half showing from the hosts with only a Archie Hatcher free-kick to note. Hatcher unleashed a knuckleball that looked to be heading into the top corner but Collins in the Haringey goal was equal too it with a fantastic stop to tip it over the crossbar. The visitors were picking up far too many second balls and their quick play from back to front was causing Dover all sorts of bother. In the 24th minute, Borough took the lead from a corner when Jebbie fired home after having the freedom of Dover’s penalty area. It was a goal that had been coming for the visitors with the Whites huffing and puffing and quite frankly getting nowhere.

The Gaffer made a change at the break, bringing on Nick Dembele to replace George Nikaj and it paid dividends immediately. Dembele’s running in behind began to stretch the away defence and he nearly opened the scoring himself when his shot was palmed into the side netting by Collins. Zidan Sutherland was thrown into the mix, coming off the left flank and it was a move that would yield immediate results when a cross from the impressive Paris Lock was fired home by Zidan at the back post.

Zidan fires home to send the River End wild – Photo Steve Johnson


It was the duo that linked up again with just six minutes remaining as a cool finish from Sutherland ensured that we were in the draw for the Fourth Qualifying Round to be played on Saturday 14 October. Manager Mitch Brundle praised his ‘Babes’ for their second half performance. Speaking to Kent Online Sport Brundle said ‘With an average age around 20, I’m so proud of them. I said before the game that I didn’t care how we won. I couldn’t care less about the performance. We’re in the hat for Monday – and that’s all we wanted.’

We will keep you updated with the draw as soon as we have it.

– The Partnership we didn’t think we needed.

Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, Charles-Cook, Naylor, Mensah, Baptiste, Lock, Young, Powell, Hatcher, Nikaj

Subs: Sutherland, Dembele, Anifowose, Stewart, Dunne, Allen, Sesay

Haringey Borough: Collins, Addo, O’Donoghue, Sambu, Peter (C), Jabbie, Aidoo, Iontton, Figueira, Young, Kennedy

Subs: Philippou, Hoti, Aresti, Mitchell, Bawling, Babalola, Dema



A Spirited performance as Whites hold top of the league. 

Mitch Brundle’s team headed to the West Country for the first time this season and were unlucky not to come back with more than just a point. If you had offered the Gaffer a point before kick-off against high flying Bath City then I’m sure he would have snapped your hand off but he would have been disappointed, having given away a two goal lead.

It was a bright start from the visitors who were kicking up the big bath hill and had an early chance when Iffy Allen blasted over the crossbar. The hosts began to have a spell of pressure with some neat link up play and dangerous balls into the Dover penalty area, but fortunately for the Whites (Navy Blues), there was no one there from Bath to capitalise. Brundle’s side had pace on either flank with Allen and Lock probing down their respective wings.

Jacob Mensah battles for a high ball – Picture @Bathcityfc

It was the dangerous Lock who bamboozled his marker before cutting back inside onto his left foot and digging out a cross which was headed away by the home defence. The ball bounced safely outside the penalty area and was picked up by the unmarked Hatcher who sent it back with interest via the top left hand corner to put the visitors into the lead. It was a fantastic strike from the academy student who was starting to find his feet in the number 10 role.

Bath nearly equalised before the break when first they were denied by Billy Terrell and then by a wonderful goal line clearance from John Oyenuga ensued that Dover would head into changing rooms with a slender lead. It was a lead that was doubled just before the hour when Paris Lock weaved into the penalty area and was judged to have been bundled over by the home defence. It seemed a little harsh but did we care? Iffy Allen for the second week running placed his spot kick, cool as you like, past the home keeper.

Mitch Brundle’s squad is young, with many not having experience at this level but they will soon know what its all about following the last 30 minutes at Twerton Park, where the home side threw everything at us, including the kitchen sink. Bath City are top for a reason at the moment, with a never say die attitude and they got their rewards in both the 66th and 77th minute as they clawed their way back into the game via Thomas and Wilson.

With Bath now looking for a win, it was vital for the Whites to cling on to a point. Wave after wave of home attack swept over the Dover backline but the defence, despite being breached twice, stood firm in the dying moments. Peter Ojemen was dismissed for two yellow cards and will now miss the FA Cup Clash with Haringey Borough as he was shown his marching orders with just minutes left on the clock.

When the referee signalled the end of the match it was both frustration and relief that swept over the squad. A good point on the road against a Bath City side who are sitting pretty on the top of the pile. It was a shame to throw away a two goal lead but again it comes down to experience. It will come.

I think its two points dropped rather than one gained. I’m disappointed for the players who were excellent. They didn’t deserve to finish the game with just the one point. It feels like a loss. They gave me everything and deserved the three points. – Mitch Brundle


Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, Naylor, Mensah, Ojemen, Lock, Allen, Young, Powell, Hatcher, Nikaj

Subs: Stewart, Wilkinson, Baptiste, Charles-Cook, Sutherland

Bath City: Wright, Raynes, Greenslade, Dyer, Batten, Cooke, Smith, Clark, Thomas, Wilson, Russe

Subs: Forster, Frear, Hayfield, Lines, Fletcher


The Whites march into the next round. 

Dover got back to winning ways on Saturday as the FA Cup provided a welcome distraction from the league. Hastings came to the Megger Community Stadium in good form and boasted a wealth of National League experience in their side but it was the home side who were the more dominant in the opening 45 minutes.

New signing Paris Lock, looked lively as he made his debut on the right wing, teasing his man before heading into the penalty area where he was brought down. The referee pointed to the spot and Iffy Allen placed his spot kick high into the roof of the net. With Hastings now chasing the game, their task became even harder when in the Sam Okoye was shown a second yellow, this time for kicking the ball away, on the half hour.

Man of the match Hatcher looks to build another attack – Picture Steve Johnson

Dover cranked up the pressure and should have gone into the break with the cushion of another couple of goals with both Zidan Sutherland and Archie Hatcher coming close with chances. It was the youngster who was making his first start that impressed the most. Despite getting booked early on for a rash challenge, the academy product looked dangerous as he found little pockets of space outside the Hastings defence.

We are in the hat and that’s what we were looking for – Mitch Brundle

The second half began like the first half ended, with Dover pushing for a second goal, but it wasn’t until the manager made his changes that the game was put to bed. George Nikaj and Luke Baptiste both entered the fray in the second half and made an immediate impact. Nikaj first by glancing a lovely header from an Ojemen cross before some nifty footwork from Baptiste, sat down the Hastings keeper, and rolled the ball into the net.

It was a good rear guard display until a nervy last five minutes meant that the Whites were making hard work of the performance, with the referee awarding Hastings a penalty and then a break away goal brought the scores back to 3-2. Despite the final efforts of the travelling side, Dover held on to claim a victory that now sees them in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, Naylor, Mensah, Ojemen, Allen, Lock, Dunne, Young, Hatcher, Sutherland

Subs: Wilkinson, Bello, Dembele, Nikaj, Baptiste, Charles-Cook, Stewart

Hastings United: Grainger, Okoye, Akehurst, Fregene, Stone, Rodari, Vose, Akinwande, Ufuah, Taylor, Christian-Law

Subs: Walters, Leblond, Walker, Legg, Thompson, Oyebola, Lubanga



A rough night in Hertfordshire as Whites fall to defeat.

It was a balmy night at Clarence Park as the two sides took to the field in 20 odd degree heat. The hosts were looking to win only for the second time this campaign while the visitors were in the same boat.

It was a lively start for the Whites and in particular new signing Johl Powell, who had an early left footed shot well saved by Johnson, who palmed away with no Dover player following in. Shooting down the slope looked to be another tool in Dover’s armoury as the Whites found both wingers with ease, although the final ball was always a little off key.

An attacking corner for Dover is cleared


In the 16th minute, Weiss broke down the Dover right following a long throw by Brown, and by getting the wrong side of Naylor, was able to cut back across goal for Georgiou to smash the ball into the net for the hosts. Moments later and the energetic Powell drove through the midfield, rounding the last defender and when it looked like the St Albans net was going to bulge, a defender in yellow made a last gasp block to keep the scores at 1-0. It was a lead that St Albans held until the interval.

Dover came out from the break with their tails up but despite a flurry of crosses and corners into the box, never quite got the x-factor in front of goal. It was something that would come back to haunt them in the 71st minute. Rasulo’s slide rule pass into the feet of Mitchell Weiss had just enough weight on it for the forward to take a touch, shift the ball past his marker and fire a low shot under the body of Terrell. 2-0.

Dover looked to have reduced the deficit with around 10 minutes remaining but Sutherlands neat finish was adjudged to have hit his arm. The travelling fans said different but it was the man in the middle who cut short any celebrations and when he brought the game to a halt, it was only the home end who would sing into the night.

Consistency is the one thing that’s killing us at the moment – Mitch Brundle


Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, McLean, Naylor, Ojemen, Dunne, Baptiste, Powell, Charles-Cook, Allen, Sutherland

Subs: Nikaj, Olarewaju, Stewart, Anifowose, Hatcher

St Albans City: Johnson, James, Brown, Smith, Clark, Blackman, Rasulo, Weiss, Georgiou, Carlyle, Wyatt

Subs: Jeffers, Dunn, Fage, Da Silva, Lawal



A share of the spoils as Whites are held at home.

On another beautiful day at Crabble, Dover looked to get back to winning ways with Chippenham Town heading to the South Kent coast. The team returned to a more familiar 4-4-2 formation as opposed to the 3-5-2 used against Dartford on Bank Holiday Monday. The Whites looked to have plenty of possession in the early stages with the build up playing coming down both flanks.

Chevron McLean twice evaded his man, working his way into the penalty area before shooting at the goalkeepers near post when a cross field pass could have been the better option. Chippenham began to apply a little pressure with a flurry of corners midway through the first half but Dover cleared with ease, something that couldn’t always been said so far this season. Will Henry was called into action in the visitors goal, first denying Sutherland with a fine save and then from Allen, who’s snap shot was again kept out.


Charles-Cook leads another attack

The teams went into the break with the scores level but it was the home side who were dictating the play. Then in the 58th minute and against the run of play, Chippenham took the lead through a slice of luck. Craig Fasanmade’s shot deflected off a body and sent Terrell the wrong way with the Dover stopper adjusting his body but not able to make the ground up to keep the ball from spinning into the net.

Dover clicked into gear and again began wave after wave of attack with both wings the main outlet. Zidan Sutherland picked up the ball in the left hand channel and flashed a cross come shot across the six yard box where a Bluebird defender sliced into his own net to level the scores. 1-1.

Sutherland again should have sealed the points when clean through, only to fire straight into the body of Henry who rushed out smartly to meet him. Dover pushed and pushed but Chippenham held firm, nearly claiming all three points themselves at the death when first a fine stop by Terrell and then the Whites were saved by the crossbar. It was a case of two points dropped rather than one gained but all eyes are now on Tuesdays match away at St Albans.

‘We created enough chances to win three matches,’ said Brundle after the game. ‘That’s where strikers earn their money. It was a much better performance than on Monday. It’s hard to take a 1-1 with the amount of chances we had.’

A special mention to Billy Terrell who picked up the Megger Player of the Month Award for August. Well done, Billy.

Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, McLean, Naylor, Ojemen, Charles-Cook, Allen, Dunne, Young, Sutherland, Stewart

Subs: Olarwaju, Baptiste, Dembele, Anifowose, Nikaj

Chippenham Town: Henry, Jones, Grant, Fasanmade, Haines, Evans, McClure, Windsor, Nicholls, Spokes, Williams

Subs: Holloway, Lewis, King, Heal, Tuodolo



The Whites taste defeat for the first time this campaign. 

It was Status Quo for the lads in white, who were given an opportunity to go again, following the win on the road last time out against Slough Town but Tonbridge Angels seemed to be a game too far as Mitch Brundle’s side played out their first defeat of the campaign.

Both sides started the game well and when Zidan Sutherland nipped in to put the Whites ahead early in the first half, it looked like it was going to be another good night on the road for the lads. Unfortunately the linesman’s flag put pay to any following supports celebrations. It was the finest of margins, something that would become more prevalent later on in the game.

In the 26th minute, and after a flurry of corner for the home side, the Angels took the lead through Lewis Gard when a scuffed shot made its way through a sea of legs to nestle in the far bottom corner. It had been coming for the home side who had forced Billy Terrell into a couple of early saves.

George Nikaj chased a long hopeful ball into the corner and seemed to twist his knee as he turned, finishing with the young forward being replaced by last weeks hero, Luke Baptiste. Stefan Payne, former Dover striker, had a chance to double the lead but his shot was low into the body of Terrell. The sides went into the break with the hosts holding onto their 1-0 lead.

In the 60th minute, Dover were handed a lifeline when Fielding was adjudged to have fouled his man in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Zidan Sutherland, who had been red hot in his first two matches, placed the ball on the floor, took his run up but saw his kick saved by Jonny Henley. The Angels stopper dived low to his right to push away the spot kick and then claim the rebound.

It was proving to be Henley’s night, who was given man of the match by the home support after a shot which seemed to be heading straight into his path took a wicked deflection causing a first class reaction save to his left to palm the ball away. The Dover bench were on their feet to celebrate but somehow he managed to keep the ball out.

The penalty miss seemed to galvanise the home side who hit the post through Turner and forced another two good saves from Terrell. Even with seven additional minutes of injury time the Whites just couldn’t seem to get going. It was a bump in the road but we go again on Saturday against Braintree Town at Crabble.

Hopefully we can see you there to give the lads a push and get back to winning ways.


Dover Athletic: Terrell, Oyenuga, McLean, Olarewaju, Naylor, Charles-Cook, Dunne, Young, Bello, Nikaj, Sutherland

Subs: Ojemen, Olu, Kayani, Baptiste, Dembele

Tonbridge Angels: Henley, Fielding, Lyons-Foster, Gard, Higgs, Akanbi, Soares-Junior, Hinds, Meade, Wagstaff, Payne

Subs: Parkinson, Turner, Powell, Wood, Fagg


The Gaffer has his thoughts on the Bank Holiday results.

The Whites ended the Bank Holiday weekend with only one point to show for their efforts following a draw against Welling United and a defeat to play-off chasing Dartford on Easter Monday. It was a special goal that nicked the win for the Darts with Lee Allen curling in a long range effort to break Dover’s resolve when it looked like another battling performance on the road.

Speaking to Kent Online Sport Mitch Brundle was quick to point out how pleased he was with the youngsters stepping in over the busy Easter period. ‘We’ve asked some of the other boys to step up. We scored three goals against Braintree and Friday was another game where we could have got another couple of goals, but fair play to Welling. That point, at the end of the day, was another point in the right direction.’

It’s not a secret that club has found it tough to score goals this season but the manager is looking at strengthening in that area over the summer. ‘That’s correct,’ he noted. ‘We’ve known that for a long time and we haven’t been able to get another one in.’

New signing Andi Janjeva and academy player Freddie Oliver have impressed the boss with their recent displays. ‘Andi’s done fantastically since he came in. Freddie is starting to find his feet and he’s getting fitter, which is even better for him performance-wise. He sits in front of that back-four fantastically. He just allows people to be free and more attacking. He’s reliable. He sits in front and doesn’t go wandering so that allows you to have Higgsy more advanced and Marts more advanced. He screens the back four, so they’re not so isolated.

It’s something that we hadn’t had, really, and allows us to free the more technically skilful players. He’s done fantastically well. Hopefully, he can carry it on.’

The Whites entertain high flying Oxford City at Crabble on Saturday, we hope to see you there.





The Gaffer has his say on the weekends victory. 

It was a result that was greeted by both relief and joy as the Whites headed to Braintree and hopped back on the bus with three points in tow. The Iron had only lost once previously on home soil and with Dover out of sorts, bringing home the bacon was a tough ask but the lads stepped up to the challenge and delivered when it was necessary.

Despite a shaky opening fifteen minutes, the Whites rallied to put on a defensive masterclass with a ‘never say die’ attitude. The backline of Boateng, Moses, Janjeva, Paxman, Nelson and even midfielder Jordan Higgs, were absolute warriors in the last half hour of the match. Wave after wave of Braintree attack rained down on the Dover goal but the guys held firm and eventually got their rewards.

‘It wasn’t our best performance,’ said the Gaffer post match. ‘Attacking wise it was the most dangerous we have looked over the last few games and the lads have worked their absolute socks off. We rode our luck at time but that comes from hard work. We were lucky with the offside goal at the death but we got into some really good areas which is what we haven’t done of late. Look, off the ball I couldn’t fault the effort and willingness to shut people down. They are a good team. They are where they are in the table because Angelo Harrop has them playing a certain way.

Football’s up and down. We went from six unbeaten to not being able to buy a win and all of a sudden we are turning over a play off chasing team away. It just shows you that you cannot get too high or too low. The lads enjoyed today, they expressed themselves which is how we want to play football. I want the lads to attack and excite me.’

Two goals from Luke Wanadio and a maiden goal for Brandon Pierrick sealed an impressive 3-1 victory over Braintree but it was the defensive performance that raised a smile from the boss. ‘There was a five minute spell where Higgsy, everywhere the ball was he was there, like a magnet. But the defence started from the front, I thought Marts run himself into the ground playing a slightly higher position than normal. When you are watching its these little things that you might not notice and think that he’s not actually doing anything but what it does do is relieve pressure from our back four.

Brandon was excellent today as well as Wads. This is the highs and lows of football. With Wads he scores a fantastic goal, a great finish and then he doesn’t clear his lines which leads to their equaliser. He said at half-time “Boys I let you down on that one but I am going to get us back into this game” which he did. He was fantastic. I cant fault any of them. Andi and Moses were superb as was Freddie. I could go through the whole team, Boateng, Pax, Nels in terms of the saves he made.

We rode our luck but it was due to hard work and I’m glad thats the way its worked out. Lets enjoy this one.’