York City v Dover Athletic FC

Miller downs York

Whites back to winning ways

RICKY Miller secured three points and a piece of history at York City on Saturday.

The livewire striker’s seventh goal of the National League campaign ensured Dover won the first-ever contest between the two clubs.

Miller’s first-half strike also condemned the hosts, who were relegated from League Two last season, to their first home defeat of the season.

And it should have been by a big winning margin had Jack Parkinson not fired high and out of the ground from just two yards – an early contender for miss of the season.

Not that it mattered in the end as boss Chris Kinnear’s men had banished the disappointment of Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat at another of the relegated clubs, Dagenham and Redbridge, in style.

Dover seized the initiative straight from kick-off with midfielder Jim Stevenson seeing his 20-yard effort go wide of the Minstermen’s goal after five minutes.

That man Miller then got in on the act with his first effort on goal being caught easily by York keeper Kyle Letheren.

The next bit of action came courtesy of one of the referee’s assistants, much to the amusement of the 2,137-strong crowd, which included 121 from Dover.

He collided with a York player trying to keep the ball in play. The player needed treatment and the assistant carried on until he had to be replaced just after the half-hour mark.

Dover were ahead by then courtesy of a sublime Sammy Moore pass and a clinical finish by Miller in the 20th minute.

Moore spotted Miller’s run and his perfect ball over the top set Miller in on goal and his 15 yarder gave Letheren no chance.

Miller wanted more and saw an effort go over Letheren’s bar before the keeper gloved another shot from Dover’s leading marksman.

Dover goalkeeper Steve Arnold was called into action for the first time, catching Simon Heslop’s hopeful long-range effort with ease eight minutes from half-time.

After the restart, it was Miller who went close to doubling Dover’s advantage when his free-kick whistled inches wide of Letheren’s goal.

Parkinson should have put Dover further ahead in the 68th minute but he was left holding his head in his hands after he somehow blasted Ricky Modeste’s pin-point cross well over the bar from almost on the line.

Parkinson then missed a chance to redeem himself for his glaring miss 10 minutes later, heading a Moore corner over.

York were offering little in attack, with striker Richard Brodie well handled by Dover captain Jamie Grimes throughout.

Their bruising encounter proved to a battle throughout the game and Grimes won it.

The impressive Moore tried his luck from range before he went off four minutes from time.

But the three points were not secured yet and it needed a couple of late saves from Arnold to ensured they were.

He kept out Jack Higgins’ header before denying Kaine Felix in stoppage time.

Dover had the last say with Ross Lafayette seeing his shot going agonisingly close just before the final whistle.

The win sees Dover climb two places up to eighth ahead of Saturday’s clash with Lincoln City at Crabble (3 pm).




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”156″ gal_title=”York City v DAFC 17/09/2016″]