Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic


Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic


Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic

Dover’s perfect record away from home was ended on Saturday with defeat at Meadow Park on Saturday.

A double from Kabongo Tshibanga and a deflected finish from Tyrone Marsh handed the hosts a first home win of 2019.

Inih Effiong had earlier halved the deficit, firing in after his initial penalty was saved.

Marsh fired wide of the mark early on, but it wasn’t long before the home side were ahead.

Tshimanga fired in at the near post following good work out wide from Sorba Thomas.

Tshimanga continued to cause problems and saw his run and low shot well saved by away stopper Lee Worgan.

The lead was almost doubled when Thsimanga latched onto Kevin Lokko’s error to then play in strike partner Marsh, but before forward Marsh could strike the ball, Athletic’s captain was back to make a crucial interception.

Josh Passley struck the base of the post and Tshimanga was made no mistake with his second goal of the game.

The striker netted his sixth of the season, firing into the bottom corner after home keeper David Gregory’s free-kick was flicked on.

And Whites were back in the game when Inih Effiong was fouled in the area by Gregory having nearly taken the ball around the keeper.

Gregory almost made amends, diving low to save Effiong’s spot-kick, but the ball was pushed into the forward’s path to halve the deficit.

Thsimanga will only wonder how he didn’t go into half-time with a hat trick, latching onto Femi Ilesanmi’s pass, only for Worgan to get enough of a touch to stop the ball from crossing the line.

Marsh then stabbed Kieran Murtagh’s cross just past the wrong side of the post and Murtagh himself flashed a free-kick wide of the mark from 25-yards shortly after the restart.

Alfie Pavey went to tap home Passley’s ball into the area from Jai Reasons clever ball, only to see Gregory grab the ball off of his toes.

Worgan then dived onto Marsh’s shot from outside the area and was a spectator as Will De Havilland sliced wide of his own net from a counter-attack.

But Wood had their two-goal advantage when Marsh’s deflected shot looped in over a helpless Worgan.

Jamal Fyfield then ballooned over after being well set up by Marsh and at the other end, Nassim L’Ghoul blazed wide.

Worgan denied Tshimanga the match ball, palming behind the striker’s angled drive.

And Pavey almost grabbed a consolation, heading Lokko’s long throw into Gregory’s arms.

However, Dover slipped to their first away loss of the season, slipping a place to seventh on the National League table.

Boss Hessenthaler made two changes to the side that drew with Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday night.  Hinchiri and Pavey came in for Nassim L’Ghoul and the injured Steven Rigg.

Whites next host Chorley on Saturday 7th September, kick-off 3 pm.




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”344″ gal_title=”Boreham Wood v DAFC 07/09/19″]


Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic

A SECOND-HALF goal from Inih Effiong handed Whites a crucial three points in their battle to avoid the drop.

The striker bundled home from a few yards as Andy Hessenthaler’s side secured their first National League win on the road this campaign.

Earlier, The first chance came on 15 minutes from Jai Reason.  The midfielder’s first touch and finish were poles part with a wayward volley over the bar.

Neat play between Josh Passley and Jamie Allen ended with Effiong with his back to goal and though the big striker was able to turn, his shot flew wide.

Bobby-Joe Taylor then crashed a volley on the run over and the same player saw a near-post effort well saved by home goalie Ryan Huddart, with play pulled back for a handball by Taylor.

The chances kept coming the way of the visitors and Effiong slung an effort over from the edge of the area following a poor defensive Wood header.

The hosts then almost hit Dover on the counter-attack.

Justin Shaibu raced onto a ball over the top but placed his angled finish too high to trouble visiting keeper Mitch Walker.

Miscontrol by Kevin Lokko let in Shaibu again, but the pacy striker skied his shot from the 20-yards.

Effiong had the chance to open the scoring minutes before the break, but scuffed the ball at the crucial moment after Huddart had punched Passley’s cross to the feet of the attacker.

Striker Effiong was able to make his mark on 54 minutes.

Huddart pushed away Reason’s low curler, but only to the feet of Effiong, who bundled in his fourth National League goal of the season from a couple of yards out to make him joint top scorer for Athletic this season.

Lokko almost doubled the lead but misdirected his header from Taylor’s free-kick.

A love-train corner routine almost handed the home team an equaliser, but sub Josh Umerah headed well wide from Keiran Murtagh.

Walker was then forced into his first save of the game.

White’s number one blocked Ricky Shakes’ strike from point-blank range, before watching Umerah crash the rebound wide from just outside the box.

Replacement Anthony Jeffrey forced Huddart into a low save and the keeper turned away Effiong’s shot amid cries of a penalty for a foul on Bedsente Gomis from the visiting fans.

Jeffrey smashed over late on, but Athletic were able to hold on to move closer to the National League safety zone.

Earlier, boss Hessenthaler named the same side for the third consecutive match, with striker Alfie Pavey, signed from fellow National League side Havant & Waterlooville earlier in the week, named as a substitute.

Whites next travel to Eastleigh on Saturday 1st December, kick-off 3 pm.




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”282″ gal_title=”Boreham Wood v DAFC 27/11/18″]


Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic

WHITES ended a four-match losing run against Boreham Wood to leapfrog their opponents in the table with an exciting 3-2 win at Meadow Park.

Following a goalless first half, Manny Parry gave the visitors the lead with his third goal in as many games before Dale Stephens volleyed the Wood back on level terms with 20 minutes remaining.

Sub Kadell Daniel put Athletic ahead again before Femi Ilesanmi made it 3-1 after he fired home against his former club.

Alex Davey pulled one back late on but Whites held on to secure their first league victory of 2018.

The visitors started brightly with Ryan Bird just missing out on Mitch Pinnock’s dangerous cross.

And Dover were almost made to pay five minutes later as Angelo Balanta placed the ball wide with the net gaping after Giancarlo Gallifuoco’s miss-kick allowed Kane Smith to burst through and pass to the Colombian from the byline.

Keira Murtagh then volleyed wide and Ricky Shakes blazed over after picking up on a rebound from a free kick.

Stephens headed wide of the mark from a Bruno Andrade corner and the hosts went even closer as half-time loomed.

Murtagh’s blocked effort fell for Shakes to drive home from the edge of the box, however, Connor Essam was on hand to clear the ball off the line.

Chris Kinnear’s men went ahead seven minutes after the restart thanks to Parry.

The defender, celebrating his 24th birthday, diverted Bird’s lobbed pass goalwards through a crowded area, finding the bottom corner via the post much to the surprise of home goalie Grant Smith.

Dover should have doubled their lead after Anthony Jeffrey outpaced the opposing backline, but the loanee dragged his shot wide when one-on-one with Smith.

And that miss proved costly as Boreham Wood levelled through Stephens.

The centre-back, volleyed into the roof of the net from close range after Andrade’s corner ended up at his feet.

But the home side’s parity only lasted a matter of seconds.

Bird nodded on Pinnock’s long throw and with Smith already diving to his right, Daniel hooked the ball into the middle of the goal, in spite of the keeper’s attempts to palm the ball away.

Wood Sub Michael Folivi was unable to pass to a teammate after finding space down the left-hand side and the Watford loanee then saw his next strike blocked by the sea of yellow shirts ahead of him.

And Whites seemingly wrapped up the three points thanks to Ilesanmi’s fine finish against his former club.

The wing-back collected Daniel’s cross and after cutting inside, smashed the ball with his right foot into the bottom corner.

But the 117 visiting fans had to endure a nervy few minutes when Alex Davey clawed a goal back for the Hertfordshire team.

Andrade’s 20-yard set piece struck the bar and after some pinball in the box, Davey fired in to set up a grandstand finish.

But Whites held on to move up one place to sixth in the standings and extend their unbeaten run on the road to five matches.

Earlier boss Kinnear made one change to the side that started at home to Marine last weekend. Anthony Jeffrey replaced Kane Richards, who started as a substitute.




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”241″ gal_title=”Borehamwood v DAFC 20/01/18″]


Boreham Wood v Dover Athletic

DOVER suffered their equal heaviest defeat of the season after crashing to a 5-0 loss at Boreham Wood on Tuesday night.

And just like that loss at Chester in October, Whites, who remain sixth on the National League ladder, conceded all five goals in the second half.

The loss also meant it was the third consecutive game the Hertfordshire side had beaten boss Chris Kinnear’s side.

Ricky Shakes led the way for Boreham Wood with a hat-trick while Bruno Andrade bagged a double.

The home side threatened early, with Shakes curling just wide of Steve Arnold’s goal following Kenny Davis’ lay-off after just five minutes.

Five minutes later, it was Dover who went agonisingly close to opening the scoring when Joe Healy’s thunderous strike cannoned into the underside of the bar before Aswad Thomas put the rebound wide.

Wood responded with Arnold going low to push away Danny Woodards’ strike before the Dover goalkeeper comfortably dealt with Jai Reason’s effort from the edge of the box.

Arnold was being kept busy and turned away Andrade’s fierce drive before he watched Matt Paine’s angled shot go across the face of his goal.

Dover’s goal came under threat again when Richard Orlu missed his attempted clearing kick and Arnold saved Davis’ shot with his legs 10 minutes before half-time.

Healy had the first chance of the second half, seeing his effort flying high and wide as he stretched to reach a loose ball in the Wood area two minutes after the restart.

But it was Andrade who finally broke the deadlock in the 56th minute.

He raced through to lob over Arnold after Jamie Grimes slipped while trying to get the ball back to his goalkeeper.

Shakes doubled the advantage 11 minutes later – in controversial circumstances.

Arnold appeared to have the ball in his hands after sliding out to save before Shakes’ challenged and then raced towards goal to score, despite the Dover appeals.

The hosts added a third in the 70th minute when Andrade slotted home after Shakes had beaten Arnold to a long ball over the top.

The ball fell kindly for Andrade and he did the rest.

It wasn’t long before Shakes heaped more misery for Whites.

He completed his hat-trick with two goals in three minutes after two lightning breaks from inside his own half as his side completed the double over Dover this season.

Earlier, Kinnear had to make two enforced changes to his starting side.

Emmanuel came in for the suspended Ricky Miller while Essam started in place of Nicky Deverdics after the Hartlepool midfielder’s loan spell ended.


[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”186″ gal_title=”Borehamwood v DAFC 14/03/17″]