Macclesfield Town v Dover Athletic


Macclesfield Town v Dover Athletic

DOVER remain winless at The Moss Rose since their return to the National League as Chris Kinnear’s men lost 1-0 to Macclesfield Town on Friday night.

Former Whites striker Tyrone Marsh headed in Elliott Durrell’s cross five minutes after half-time as Athletic suffered their first away defeat of the season.

The home side fashioned the first chance early on with Danny Whitaker firing straight at Walker from close range.

The action then moved to the other end of the pitch.  Femi Ilesanmi’s free-kick deflected narrowly wide and Kane Richards’ then saw a shot blocked by the legs of home keeper Shawn Jalal following Nortei Nortey’s pass.

Nortey was once again involved on the quarter-hour mark, chasing down the ball after blocking Keith Lowe’s attempted clearance, but his final pass into the box was too weak to find a teammate.

Lowe was almost left red-faced again after his backpass was missed by Jalal, however, Ryan Bird was unable to react in time.

Gime Toure stumbled in the Dover area with Connor Essam close by, but the referee adjudged there was no contact on the Frenchman.

Bird’s flick-on found Josh Passley lurking at the back post, but the right-back was denied by Jalal’s stunning finger-tip save around the post.

Toure spotted Ryan Lloyd’s clever run into the area, but the midfielder scooped the ball over the bar.

Lowe bravely blocked Sho-Silva’s effort before half-time after the forward had been sent clear by Mitch Brundle.

Marsh’s bullet header seemed to galvanise the Silkmen, with Scott Burgess curling just over from long range and away keeper Mitch Walker flinging himself across the goalmouth to prevent Durrell’s swirling free-kick from going straight in.

Dover’s stopper then had to be alert to palm over Toure’s firm strike after he turned Manny Parry in the box.

Walker then produced a stunning save to turn sub Mitch Hancox’s twenty-yard effort past the post.

The visitor’s final chance came from Pinnock’s long throw-in injury time, but the ball bounced agonisingly over Bird after Jalal’s unsuccessful attempt to claim the ball.

The defeat sees Dover stay in fifth spot in the ladder, with the rest of this round of National League fixtures due on Saturday.

Earlier, boss Kinnear made two changes from the home draw with Barrow on Saturday.  Josh Passley returned from illness in place of Louis Fazakerley, who started as a substitute. Tobi Sho-Silva also came in for Jamie Allen, who was ruled out through injury.

Aziz Deen-Conteh was named on the bench after signing for the club earlier in the week.

Whites next face Kent rivals Ebbsfleet United this coming Bank Holiday Monday, kick off 3pm.




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”211″ gal_title=”Macclesfield Town v DAFC 25/08/2017″]


Macclesfield Town v Dover Athletic

JAMIE Grimes’ second goal in as many games was not enough to prevent Dover from losing 2-1 against Macclesfield Town at the Moss Rose on Tuesday.

The captain, who found the back of the net against York on Saturday, gave Dover a half-time lead before the hosts secured the points through Chris Holroyd’s double.

Although he was thrilled to score his third goal of the season, Grimes admitted he’d rather have returned home with three points.

He said: “We conceded two sloppy goals and it cost us again.

“We battled hard as a team to try and get a result but unfortunately it didn’t happen.”

Despite the loss, Grimes’ side stay fifth ahead of the trip to Lincoln City on February 20.

Grimes said: “It’s nice to have a bit of a break now to work on a few things before that game.”

Macclesfield started the game strongly and Dover goalkeeper Steve Arnold saved from Danny Rowe in the opening minutes before the winger saw his shot cannon into a crowded area and go wide seconds later.

Dover’s first attack in the seventh minute ended with James Hurst, making his first start, seeing his thunderous shot deflected behind for a corner.

But it wasn’t long before Grimes stunned the home crowd by beating goalkeeper Scott Flinders to Hurst’s free-kick to head his side ahead.

The lead was almost doubled when Ross Lafayette saw his effort cleared off the line with Flinders beaten.

Hurst tried his luck from range but his shot sailed harmlessly wide of Flinders goal.

Macclesfield replied with Kingsley James’ shot failing to trouble Arnold before Chris Holroyd volleyed Rowe’s cross wide.

The hosts continued to press with both Neill Byrne and James heading over from consecutive Rowe corners.

Ricky Miller’s first effort of the night came in first-half stoppage time, chipping just over Flinders’ bar.

The second half started with James shooting well wide before Hurst forced Flinders into a flying save moments later.

Moses Emmanuel had a goal disallowed for offside following a smart pass by Lafayette.

Chris Kinnear jnr replaced Hurst seven minutes in the half and the midfielder volleyed just past Flinders’ goal soon after.

Holroyd finally gave the home fans something to cheer about when he turned home Whitaker’s effort from close range in the 67h minute, despite Dover’s appeals for offside.

And the Silkmen’s leading scorer added a second seven minutes later after he raced clear to slot past Arnold.

Dover went in search of an equaliser and Flinders needed to be at his best to turn aside Emmanuel’s dipping volley.

But there was to be no coming back.

Earlier, Kinnear made two changes to his starting line-up from the side that drew with York.

Ricky Modeste replaced Sammy Moore after the midfielder was recalled by his parent club Leyton Orient while Hurst replaced Stevenson.



[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”178″ gal_title=”Macclesfield Town v DAFC 11/01/2017″]


Macclesfield Town v Dover Athletic FC (Abandoned)


Whites and Macclesfield to play again.

MACCLESFIELD were furious after the referee abandoned the game after half time due to fog.

Confusion reigned initially after it was announced the game was abandoned, then another announcement came through to say it was suspended, in which time the fog appeared to have cleared, but was finally called off after another inspection.

The decision means both teams will have to play the match again at a later date, though Whites look like they have had a lucky escape having been 1-0 down thanks to a goal from Danny Rowe and in truth were not at the races.

Both teams made one change from their Tuesday night’s games. Top scorer Ricky Miller came back into the side after a one-match ban, replacing Mitchell Pinnock who dropped to the bench. Paul Lewis and Kingsley James traded places for Macclesfield who drew 1-1 with Gateshead earlier in the week.

Miller almost got Dover off to the perfect start with a trademark run and shot, after cutting inside, that flew narrowly wide.

The hitman then popped up on the left and following a one-two with Ross Lafayette, flashed a shot across goal with Lafayette inches away from connecting.

Danny Whitaker called Steve Arnold into action with a bullet header from an Andy Halls cross, but the Dover number one expertly tipped the ball over. Chris Holroyd then had an effort after collecting Halls’ pass in the box but blasted straight at Arnold when well placed.

Holroyd was the man having all the attempts at the Dover goal, with his latest effort over the bar following Paul Lewis’ short pass.

Macclesfield fans must have thought a goal was a certainty when Halls pounced on a loose ball down the right, but his cross across goal eluded every blue shirt in the box.

They did not have to wait for long and on the half-hour, Danny Rowe gave the Silkmen the lead after running with the ball from midfield and after a quick interchange of passes with Holroyd, squeezed a low shot past Arnold.

Macclesfield were in the mood and Holroyd tried to take advantage of a weak back pass by Magri, but was unable to beat Arnold.

Dover had their first shot on target via Jim Stevenson, his long-range curling effort was no trouble for Craig Ross.

Tyrone Sterling almost scored an own goal from a thunderous ball across the box, but Arnold was able to smother the ball from close range.

Holroyd clipped the post after making space on the edge of the area as half time loomed.

The fog thickened over the interval and Danny Whitaker volleyed a shot narrowly over before the refereed bought the game to a halt after ten minutes, before finally making the decision to call the game off after deliberations with his assistants.

The result sees Whites stay in sixth and are now two points behind Dagenham in 5th with a game in hand. Dover face Sutton next at Gander Green Lane on Tuesday 29th November 19:45 kick off.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”170″ gal_title=”Macclesfield Town v DAFC 26/11/2016″]