Hythe Town v Dover Athletic

One goal was enough for Whites as they started pre-season with a win at Hythe Town.

Manager Andy Hessenthaler used this game to find out more about trialists, with nine starting the game and more coming on in the second half.

Dover had most of the early attacks and could’ve been 1-0 up inside the first 10 minutes after good link up play between two trialists allowed one of them to get around the keeper.

However, he ran out of room in the box and although he was able to get the ball into the danger area, it was easily cleared away by the Hythe defence.

Whites were almost made to pay for a defensive calamity shortly after when a defensive trialist only found the Hythe attacker with a misplaced pass before captain Yusuf Mersin made the save.

Dover took the lead on the half hour mark through one of the trialists after he ran through on goal and kept his composure to slot home.

Dover went in search of a second and had a chance five minutes later after Mersin’s long ball found the furthest forward trialist, but he was taken down as he ran through on goal with the resulting free-kick going well over the bar.

Hythe almost levelled before half time but Mersin did well to stay alert as a corner was headed straight at him.

The second half started slowly, with the first clear cut chance not coming until close to the hour mark as Hythe almost levelled once again.

After some smart play between the Hythe forward put his effort into the side netting.

Dover had a shot  well saved by the Hythe goalkeeper, before new Dover signing Louis Collins turned well and shot just over the bar.

Another new arrival, TJ Bramble came on for his debut late in the game, playing a right-back.


Hythe Town v Dover Athletic

KADELL Daniel’s curling second-half free-kick was the difference as Dover battled to a single-goal victory at Hythe Town on Monday night.

The winger found the bottom corner of the net from 25-yards as Athletic registered their second consecutive pre-season win.

And the visitors could have been ahead earlier, but both Jamie Allen and Inih Effiong were both off target.

Allen then seemed destined to find the back of the net following a wonderful solo run but placed his effort wide with only the home keeper to beat.

Effiong then more than matched his strike partner’s effort, running at the Hythe defence before forcing the goalie to tip over his fierce shot.

But it was the hosts who almost had the lead on the stroke of half-time, striking the inside of the post from the edge of the box with Mitch Walker relieved to see the ball bounce across the line before being cleared from danger.

Allen, Effiong and Tobi Sho-Silva were all denied by goalline clearances following the restart and Effiong went even closer to breaking the deadlock just minutes later.

The striker volleyed Loui Fazakerley’s pinpoint cross goalwards, but could only find the top of the crossbar from just outside the six-yard area.

However, Daniel duly delivered the winner, though the home side almost mustered an injury-time equaliser.

Substitute keeper Chris Lewington was at full stretch to tip away a low drive as Dover added to their 5-1 friendly win at Deal Town a week earlier.

Chris Kinnear’s men next travel to Bostik Premier Folkestone Invicta on Saturday 14th July, kick off 3 pm.