Gateshead v Dover Athletic

WHITES kept their place at the top of the league ladder after battling to a goalless draw in windy conditions at the International Stadium on Saturday.

Luke Hannant struck the bar once in each half for the hosts as Chris Kinnear’s men held on for a point in Gateshead manager Steve Watson’s first home game in charge.

With the wind in their favour before the break, Heed midfielder Hannant blazed over and Jordan Preston dragged wide, with both efforts coming from outside the area.

Jordan Burrows then volleyed over Scott Barrow’s cross from ten yards as the Tyne and Wear side continued to press.

Home keeper Dan Hanford blocked Ryan Bird’s stabbed effort at goal following a Mitch Pinnock knock-down and at the other end, Paddy McLaughlin blasted Burrows’ lay-off narrowly wide from 20-yards.

Bird blazed over Pinnock’s accurate cross from close range, but it was Gateshead who went closest midway through the half.

McLaughlin’s ball into the penalty area found Hannant in space and the midfielder’s volley looped over Mitch Walker and bounced off the underside of the bar into the grateful arms of Dover’s keeper.

Hannant then struck an effort inches past the wrong side of the post and in a rare Athletic attack at the other end of the pitch, Pinnock fired into the side-netting after beating Newcastle loanee Callum Williams for pace.

Hannant twice flashed balls across the box after the break, but out of reach of any of his teammates.

An unmarked Giancarlo Gallifuoco headed Mitch Brundle’s corner well wide and Dover’s skipper then curled a free-kick into Hanford’s arms.

Burrow headed Barrow’s long throw straight at Walker and the same striker then blasted sub Richard Peniket’s knock-down wide.

And Whites were almost flying back home to Kent without a point after Gateshead hit the woodwork for a second time.

Hannant rose highest to meet Burrows’ cross, but his header struck the crossbar and bounced out of play, much to the relief of Walker.

Earlier, Kinnear made two changes to the side that beat Woking 3-1 on Tuesday night at Crabble.  Loui Fazakerley replaced the suspended Femi Ilesanmi and Nortei Nortey came in for Paul Lewis, who returned to Cambridge following his loan.

Dover now have an extended break in the league, with their next game against Eastleigh at Crabble on Saturday 11th November.




[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”226″ gal_title=”Gateshead v DAFC 28/10/2017″]


Gateshead v Dover Athletic FC



DOVER’S four-game winning run against Gateshead came to an abrupt end on Tyneside on Saturday.

The hosts, who had failed to score a goal in their previous three home games, finally gave their fans something to cheer about as they sent Whites crashing to a second heavy defeat on the road in a week.

Jack Parkinson put Dover ahead 10 minutes from half-time before the Heed replied twice before the break through Wes York and Sam Jones.

Paddy McLaughlin added a third three minutes into the second half before Ricky Miller threw Dover a lifeline with his 10th goal of the season.

But the joy proved to be short-lived when Jones grabbed his second of the game two minutes later.

Jones, who scored the winner for Gateshead in the 1-0 win at Tranmere on Tuesday, then missed a glorious chance to score a hat-trick from the penalty spot.

His effort crashed into Mitch Walker’s crossbar and was cleared as Whites escaped not conceding five times in consecutive away games.

While the game ended in disappointment for Dover and the 67 travelling fans, it had started brightly enough with Miller hitting the post inside the opening minute.

While that gave home goalkeeper Dan Hanford a scare, Walker gave Whites a huge concern after diving bravely at the feet of an onrushing Jones.

Walker resumed after receiving lengthy treatment from Dover physio Calum Green and his Gateshead counterpart.

He was clearly struggling but Parkinson gave him the perfect tonic after opening the scoring with a sublime strike.

Parkinson, who scored with a header in the corresponding fixture last season, curled home a stunning effort after Gateshead failed to clear Mitch Pinnock’s corner.

Pinnock had earlier replaced the suspended Moses Emmanuel in boss Chris Kinnear’s side.
Dover’s celebrations did not last long – less than 60 seconds to be precise.

Walker did well to save Jones’ close-range shot but York was on hand to fire home the rebound.

Jones got in on the act a minute before half-time after slotting past Walker from McLaughlin’s cross.

Gateshead made it a three-goal advantage after the break after McLaughlin waltzed through the Dover backline and finished past Walker.

Miller saw a shot saved by Hanford before he beat the Gateshead stopper with a clinical finish from just inside the area.

Any hopes of Dover comeback were gone in an instant, with Jones’ powerfully struck shot restoring Gateshead’s two-goal lead in the 59th minute.

Five minutes later, Jones was gifted the chance to complete a hat-trick but his penalty cannoned into the bar.

A limping Walker ensured Gateshead did not score a fifth with smart saves from that man Jones and York.


[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”160″ gal_title=”Gateshead v DAFC 08/10/2016″]