Braintree Town 3-0 Dover Athletic

Match Report by Fred Deveson

A mild afternoon in Essex saw Dover Athletic well beaten by a strong Braintree side, who ran out 3-0 victors. 

Before the game, recent player of the month winner Jacob Mensah spoke to me and said that he was feeling positive about the game after last week’s win and said that spirits were high in the dressing room.

Mensah went on to say that the team were looking to come and get a point or three points after the victory last week and he said it was “a challenge and we are all looking forward to it” before the game. 

Unfortunately for Dover, the game did not start as Mensah and the rest of the team would have wanted. The chances for Braintree came thick and fast right from the off, with an early chance for the hosts going wide of the post.

The opening goal came inside the first few minutes, after a long shot took a big deflection and went into the bottom corner after Jinadu was sent the wrong way. 

Ojemen had a tough start to the game at left back; the hosts were exploiting his side and causing overloads on his side, making it difficult for Dover to contain.

The referee was already a big talking point during the first half, making some controversial decisions, much to the anger of the travelling Dover fans.

Braintree continued their dominance in the first half, showing their class on the counter-attack time and time again. They had pace and quality in the final third and Dover could not cope.

Dover weren’t completely out of it in the first half, and they did have a couple of chances of their own. Baptiste was positive on Dover’s left and caused some trouble, with one leading to a corner which came out to Naylor, who’s effort went straight into the hands of Sims in the Braintree.

The hosts kept coming, however and it was not long before it was 2-0. The Essex side got a free-kick outside the area, which was delivered perfectly to the back post and was met with an even better header, doubling their lead.

The third came soon after. A simple ball in behind the Dover defence put their attacker through on goal. He then took it round the goalkeeper and prodded into an empty net. Game over.

The second half hardly saw any action at all. The visitors brought on Destiny Oladipo for the start of the second half and he brought a big presence to the team that wasn’t there in the first half.

Dover had a couple of chances in the second half; a ball across the box almost found substitute Dembele but the striker was just beaten to the ball by their centre back.

The hosts had a good chance later on in the second half, when one of their attackers ran through the away side’s defence and tried to round the goalkeeper, but Jinadu was having none of it and he kept it from being 4-0. 

This was it for all the action in the second half and the game eventually drew to a close, with the hosts winning 3-0.

It’s Worthing away next week for the Whites but not before a trip to Beckenham Town in the Kent Senior Cup on Tuesday.