Dover Athletic 0-1 Maidstone United

Match Report by Fred Deveson

There was heavy rain before the start of the game and there were doubts over whether the game would go ahead, but it did nevertheless and it was Maidstone who took all three points.

Dover started the game fairly brightly, with Nikaj looking positive on the right for the hosts. The ball broke for Oliver on the edge of the box but his shot was hit over the bar. 

Soon after, Maidstone were on top. They earned themselves a succession of corners which came to nothing, but the signs of a goal were coming.

It wasn’t long after this that the visitors got themselves a penalty after Naylor fouled their forward in the box. Sam Corne it was who took it, but his penalty went sailing over the bar and Dover were let off the hook.

Daniel Jinadu had a very solid first half for the Whites. He made a couple of excellent saves to keep the score level which gave the hosts a glimmer of hope.

The away side kept up the pressure throughout the first half and kept knocking on the door and eventually they got their reward.Their left back made a good run into the box and fired it across the six yard area where the Stones winger tapped home to make it 0-1.

The second half began and there was a great chance for the hosts to make it 1-1, but Nikaj couldn’t convert his seemingly easychance and the score remained 0-1.

There was an extended stoppage in play shortly after, as Freddie Oliver’s challenge left the Maidstone midfielder in a heap on the floor. The Dover number 8 saw yellow for this tackle.

It wasn’t long after this that Jake Leberl made some changes. Dembele, Oladipo and Allen all came on but they didn’t make much impact as Maidstone had a firm grip of the game by this point. 

The visitors kept up the pressure and should’ve doubled their lead. A corner came in from the right hand side and was met well, but Jinadu got down quickly to make the save and keep the score at 0-1.

There was a bit of late pressure from Dover, with Wilkinson putting in a good corner but no one got on the end of it and it flew behind for a goal-kick. 

The game then petered out with the away side managing the game well and seeing it out until the final whistle. The visitors take all three points back up the M20 in their pursuit of a playoff place.

It’s Weston-Super-Mare up next for Dover as they look to turn around their recent poor form.

Dover: Jinadu, Charles-Cook, Mensah, Naylor (Oladipo 87mins), Holding, Ojemen, Oliver, Young (Dembele 64mins), Wilkinson, Stewart (Allen 73mins), Nikaj. Subs not used: Hatcher, Neil-Gray.

Maidstone: Covolan, Brown, Fowler, Greenidge, Ezennolim, Gurung, Corne, Berkeley-Agyepong (Sole 83mins), Rush, Faal (Reynolds 82mins), Tanga. Subs not used: Earle, Appiah, Duku.

Referee: Nathan Oakes.

Attendance: 1,203.