Dover Athletic 1-3 Farnborough

Match Report by Fred Deveson

It was a chilly afternoon yesterday on non-league day as Dover fell short in a 1-3 defeat.

The game started superbly for the hosts, who started by having to contain the visitors which they did well. In the first attack of the game for the Whites, Nick Dembele found himself in a good position and he fired Dover in front with a fantastic effort from an ever-tightening angle. 

One may have thought that the hosts would have kicked on from this goal, but that was not to be. Farnborough continued to dominate possession but nothing was coming from it. Dover were defending well.

However it wasn’t long until the visitors did find the breakthrough. A penalty was awarded against Dover much to the anger of Scott Holding the offender. Farnborough converted the penalty and it was 1-1.

The away side got into their groove after this and really kicked on. A long ball came floating over the top from the goalkeeper and the flag stayed down. The forward then chipped Rowley and it was 1-2, again to the anger of the back line who felt the flag should have gone up.

The second half started the same as the first ended. It didn’t take long though before Dover had a good chance to level the game. Dembele got himself in behind the defence and tried to round the goalkeeper but the number one stood his ground well.

Naylor also had an excellent chance from a corner by Wilkinson, but his free header went just wide of the post and Farnborough had survived.

Soon after, the away side extended their advantage. A brilliant header from a well delivered corner put the visitors in front by 2 and they now had a cushion to fall back on.

Some changes were made and the visitors had a chance to make it 1-4 but the game eventually petered out and both sides settled for the 1-3 score line. 

Dover must win against Welling this coming Friday if they are to stay up this season.

Dover Athletic: Rowley, Charles-Cook, Mensah, Holding, Oyenuga, Naylor (Neil-Gray 87mins), Wilkinson (Akehurst 70mins), Oliver, Dembele, Nikaj, Baptiste (Drakes-Thomas 62mins). 

Subs not used: Stewart, Young.

Farnborough: Turner, Norville-Williams, Fearn, Robinson, Pruti, Haigh (Kasimu 78mins), Young, Pendlebury, Kuhl, Holmes (Clark 72mins), Matthews-Lewis (Saied 81mins). 

Sub not used: Bradbury.

Referee: Ayrton Hursey.

Attendance: 565.