Hemel Hempstead 1-1 Dover Athletic

Match Report by Fred Deveson

An incredibly warm afternoon saw Dover take a late point in Hertfordshire to draw the game 1-1, when it arguably should have been more than just the one point that the Whites took.

The first half was a poor one from the Whites. Rowley was called into action within the first three minutes, being forced into a good save down to his right after a nice move by the hosts.

A few minutes later, our captain was called upon as he cleared a header off the line from their number 9. Dover were under lots of pressure in the opening exchanges at Hemel Hempstead.

The hosts did not let up either, as on minute 20, they put together a lovely passing move which ended in a shot that went just wide of the goal.

The goal did soon come for The Tudors however. Another well worked move ended in the ball coming over to the far side and the wide man hit a beautiful volley beyond Rowley who could do nothing about it. The hosts had a deserved lead.

The manager made two changes at half time in a bid to switch things up for the second half. Wilkinson replaced Young and Stewart came on in place of the carded Kai Garrett.

The second half started in a much better way for the Whites. Wilkinson came on and made a big difference to the team, providing good energy in the midfield. It was his shot that went just wide after a nice move.

Then came what Dover thought was the equaliser. Wilkinson side footed the ball back into the box from near the corner flag and Dontai Stewart nodded it in, but the goal was ruled out for offside much to the confusion of the visiting fans.

Baptiste was much more lively in the second period, and towards the end of the game he had a shot go just wide of the goal after a lovely ball picked him out on the left. Dover were banging on the door now.

It wasn’t until the 90th minute, however, that Dover did eventually find the back of the net (legally). Some excellent work by Charles Cook lead to him crossing the ball which was defended poorly and then prodded home for the Whites with just a few added minutes remaining. A deserved leveler.

The visitors continued to push for that winning goal which nearly came, as Wilkinson’s corner floated just over the bar, but that was to be it for Dover who took just one point back to south east Kent.