Truro City 1-0 Dover Athletic

Match Report by Fred Deveson

A beautiful evening in Gloucester saw Dover once again come away with nothing in a game that could have ended differently had some big chances been taken.

The game started with a mesmeric sunset behind the stadium on a chilly evening in Gloucester, and the Whites started the game on the front foot. The ball was laid off to Baptiste on the edge of the area but his effort went over the bar with three minutes on the clock.

Baptiste was at it again a few minutes later with an effort that went much closer, and got a touch on the way for a corner. He and Dover had started well.

Truro started to form some attacks of their own, firing the ball into the front men who held it up and linked the play well.

The “home” side forced a good save by Rowley on minute 20, and the ball fell for the attacker but Oyenuga was there to stop it going in for Dover.

The Whites did not let this get to them, however, as Nikaj had a superb chance to put Dover in front but hit the bar from relatively close range.

It only took Truro 5 minutes after this scare to score the first and only goal of the game. It was a well worked goal with number 9 Harvey finishing well into the bottom corner past the outstretched Rowley.

Soon after, it was Harvey again who attempted a chip on Rowley but the ball bounced back off the bar. The rebound also hit the woodwork and Dover survived.

The second half started poorly for Dover, with the hosts dominating. No notable chances came until the 61st minute, with a flowing move ending in a shot going wide from a good position.

Baptiste was still looking lively and his shot from range went just past Hamon’s goal. Stewart had a shot from a similar position soon after, which was saved well by the goalkeeper.

Substitutions were made during the second half, with Wilkinson and Drakes-Thomas coming on to sure up the midfield, but these did little to impact the game.

The game gradually drew to a close with Truro defending their lead very well and seeing out the 1-0 win to make it back-to-back wins for the team.

A special thank you to the 15 travelling Dover fans who made the journey, a fantastic commitment and the support is hugely appreciated.

The champions Yeovil await Dover on Saturday for the final game of the season.

City: Hamon, Palmer, Adelsbury, Dean, Riley-Lowe, Rooney (Palfrey, 52), Melhado, Porter, Law, Harvey (Brett, 70), Neal (Hinds, 60). Subs not used: Johnson-Fisher, Buse.

Dover: Rowley, Charles-Cook (Drakes-Thomas, 82), Mensah, Holding, Naylor (Wilkinson, 71), Oyenuga, Oliver, Baptiste, Nikaj, Akehurst, Stewart. Sub not used: Young, Neil-Gray, Garrett. 

Referee: Stacey Pearson
Attendance: 73