Weston-Super-Mare 1-0 Dover Athletic

Match report by Fred Deveson

A serious crash on the M4 saw the team bus arrive late to Somerset and as a result, kick-off was delayed until 4pm. It was the hosts who eventually took all three points, however, in a game that could have gone either way.

Dover actually started the game on the front foot. Luke Baptiste found himself with space on the edge of the area and his shot cannoned of the defender and went behind. Positive start.

This didn’t last long however, as the hosts began to put some pressure on Dover. The number 19 for the hosts was looking lively and had a shot well blocked by Holding.

Peter Ojemen made a nasty tackle shortly after near the dugouts and saw yellow when some may have thought red was more appropriate.

The hosts’ number 8 was beginning to run the show at this point and kept finding space in good areas. He had a long-range effort whistle just past the post.

Jinadu made a couple of excellent stops too, one from a free-kick just outside the area which kept the score level and kept the Whites in it.

Just before half-time the hosts were really piling on the pressure. The Somerset side put in a good ball into the box which was headed just over.

Manager Jake Leberl brought on new signing Dylan Pepe at half time to replace Ojemen and the new defender impressed, making some good tackles and working hard.

Weston-Super-Mare had a good chance though around the hour mark, picking up a free-kick on the edge of the area which was crashed against the post and cleared.

Soon after, Dover had the best chance of the game. Stewart was sent in behind and after some excellent work to put the defender on the floor, he laid it off for Wilkinson who fired it over.

The visitors had another chance soon after. It was Naylor this time who had the ball on the edge of the area but his shot was fired wide of the goal.

Jinadu was called into action again shortly after, pulling off two fine saves after two long range efforts came his way.

The Whites came forward again after this and a long throw came in from Roman Charles Cook, which was flicked on well by Nikaj. Freddie Oliver got his head to the flick on but was denied by a brilliant save by the goalkeeper.

Not long after, the hosts came forward and earned themselves a corner. This was taken quickly and they caught Dover napping. The wide man finished well in the bottom corner past the outstretched Jinadu and the host were one up.

The game then petered out and it was a similar story for Dover Athletic who went back to Kent empty handed once more.